Download PDF: SOGS South Oaks Gambling Screen
© 1986 South Oaks Foundation, Inc. www.longislandhome.org
1. Please indicate which of the following types of gambling you have done in your lifetime. For each type, mark one answer: “not at all”, “less than once a week” or “once a week or more”.
a.__________ play cards for money
b.__________ bet on horses, dogs or other animals (at OTV, the track or with a bookie)
c.__________ bet on sports (parlay cards, with a bookie, or at Jai Alai
d.__________ played dice games (including craps, over and under or other dice games) for money
e.__________ gambled in a casino (legal or otherwise)
f.__________ played the numbers or bet on lotteries
g.__________ played bingo for money
h.__________ played the stock options and/or commodities market
i.__________ played slot machines, poker machines or other gambling machines
j.__________ bowled, shot pool, played golf or some other game of skill for money
k.__________ pull tabs or “paper” games other than lotteries
l.__________ some form of gambling not listed above (please specify)
2.What is the largest amount of money you have ever gambled with on any one day?
__________never have gambled
__________$1 or less
__________more than $1 up to $10
__________more than $10 up to $100
__________more than $100 up to $1,000
__________more than $1,000 up to $10,000
__________more than $10,000
3. Check which of the following people in your life has (or had) a gambling problem.
__________brother or sister
__________a friend or someone else important in my life
4. When you gamble, how often do you go back another day to win back money you lost?
__________some of the time (less than half the time I lost)
__________most of the time I lost
__________every time I lost
5. Have you ever claimed to be winning money gambling but weren’t really? In fact, you lost?
__________never (or never gamble)
__________yes, less than half the time I lost
__________yes, most of the time
6. Do you feel you have ever had a problem with betting money or gambling?
__________yes, in the past, but not now
7. Did you ever gamble more than you intend to?
8. Have people criticized your betting or told you that you had a gambling problem, regardless of whether or not you thought it was true?
9.Have you ever felt guilty about the way you gamble or what happens when you gamble?
10. Have you ever felt like you would like to stop betting money or gambling but didn’t think you could?
11.Have you ever hidden betting slips, lottery tickets, gambling money, IOUs or other signs of betting or gambling from your spouse, children or other important people in you life?
12. Have you ever argued with people you live with over how you handle money?
13. (If you answered yes to question 12): Have money arguments ever centred on your gambling?
14. Have you ever borrowed from someone and not paid them back as a result of your gambling?
15. Have you ever lost time from work (or school) due to betting money or gambling?
16. If you borrowed money to gamble or to pay gambling debts, who or where did you borrow from? (check “yes” or “no” for each).
a. from household money
b. from your spouse
c. from other relatives or in-laws
d. from banks, loan companies or credit unions
e. from credit cards
f. from loan sharks
g. you cashed in stocks, bonds or other securities
h. you sold personal or family property
i. you borrowed on your chequing account (passed bad cheques)
j. you have (had) a credit line with a bookie
k. you have (had) a credit line with a casino
South Oaks Gambling Screen Score Sheet
Scores on the SOGS itself are determined by adding up the number of questions that show an “at risk” response:
Questions 1, 2 & 3 are not counted
Question 4__________ most of the time I lose or
__________ every time I lose
Question 5 __________yes, less than half the time I lose or
__________yes, most of the time
Question 6 __________yes, in the past but not now
Question 7 __________yes
Question 8 __________yes
Question 9 __________yes
Question 10 __________yes
Question 11 __________yes
Question 12 not counted
Question 13 __________yes
Question 14 __________yes
Question 15 __________yes
Question 16a __________yes
Question 16b __________yes
Question 16c __________yes
Question 16d __________yes
Question 16e __________yes
Question 16f __________yes
Question 16g __________yes
Question 16h __________yes
Question 16i __________yes
Questions 16j & 16k are not counted
Total = (there are 20 questions that are counted)
0 = no problem
1–4 = some problem
5 or more = probable pathological gambler
Back to Screening Tools